October 16th, 2009
- Michigan is the nation’s No.1 blueberry producer (110 million pounds and $124 million last year).
- The Blueberry is one of the few fruits that are native to North America (along with cranberries and concord grapes).
- If all the blueberries grown in North America in one year were spread out in a single layer, they would cover a four-lane highway stretching from New York to Chicago.
- Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for Ronald Reagan.
- Soldiers in the Civil War regularly drank a blueberry beverage because of its health benefits.
- In the past, blueberries were used for medicinal purposes along with the leaves and roots, and were used to treat coughs, and was said to be good for the blood.